May 24 2013 Latest news:
Wednesday, July 25, 2012
Fifa president Sepp Blatter has said that if the FA make a complaint about Gareth Bale playing for Tottenham then the Welshman could be banned for the duration of the Games
Tottenham star Gareth Bale could be banned for playing for the north Londoners while the Olympics are on, if the FA makes an official complaint.
The Welshman was included in Stuart Pearce’s Great Britain squad for London 2012 but pulled out through injury.
But, in a twist to the tale, the 23-year-old played and scored for the north Londoners in a pre-season friendly against Los Angeles Galaxy.
The FA and British Olympic Association have not commented on Bale’s appearance, but Fifa president Sepp Blatter said that if there was an official complaint to the world’s governing body then Bale could be banned for playing again for Spurs, even in friendlies, until August 12.
“The principle is that if a club does not release a player then this association can come to FIFA and we will then ban this player during the duration of the Olympics,” Blatter said.
“So far nobody came to FIFA to say we should, but it is a possibility we could ban these players if they are not at the disposal of the national team.
“They (the association) complain and then we say let this player go or he cannot play for the club.
“FIFA’s position has never been so clear than it is now for the Olympics 2012 and 2016.”
Spurs would argue Bale only returned to fitness this week but Fifa would be the ultimate judge.