May 25 2013 Latest news:
by Flora Drury
Thursday, July 12, 2012
A Wood Green hero could be in line for a bravery award from the fire service after he dragged his neighbour to safety from a burning flat.
The man – who asked not to be named – was still dressed in his bedclothes when he kicked the door of his neighbour’s groundfloor flat down in Gladstone Avenue, and battled through thick smoke to rescue the older man just before 5am on Sunday.
He had been woken by another neighbour who had heard the smoke alarm, set off by the fire in the front bedroom.
His mother – who also did not want to be named – said: “My son called for the guy to come out because the front [room] was on fire. He kicked the door down with the help of another gentleman.
“But the owner did not come out, so my son went in. My son shouted for him to come out but he said he can’t or something. When he went through, he was in the kitchen.”
The hero then helped the man, thought to be in his late 50s, out of his flat. His mum helped prop him up outside while they waited for the emergency services to arrive . She said: “I said, ‘Were you smoking? He said, ‘No, it was candles’. I don’t think he has gas and electricity there.” The victim is currently in Chelmsford Hospital’s burns unit with what have been described as “life-changing injuries”.
John Thornton, station officer at Tottenham Fire Station who attended the scene, said: “If it hadn’t been for his neighbour I think the man’s chances of survival would have low. He saved his life. We are currently considering awarding him some kind of commendation for bravery.”