Search

National Gallery bomb scare caused by Tottenham man’s ‘homemade mobile phone charger’

20:04 17 September 2012

Joey Owen outside court. Picture: Ed Wilcox/Central News

Joey Owen outside court. Picture: Ed Wilcox/Central News

Archant

A Tottenham hoaxer sparked a bomb scare at the National Gallery after leaving a package with a red flashing light and wires sticking out of it on a sofa, a court heard today.

Joey Owen, 21, allegedly left the crude device in the corner of a sofa in one of the gallery’s main rooms as tourists milled around.

Owen, of Willoughby Mews off Willoughby Lane, Tottenham, was arrested after returning 10 days later, claiming he needed to find his “phone charger”, Southwark Crown Court heard.

Duty manager Duncan Hales spotted the device in room 30 of the gallery in Trafalgar Square - which houses priceless works including the 17th Century Rokeby Venus by Diego Velázquez - on the afternoon of October 12 last year.

He said: “I thought this was potentially a very serious situation.”

He warned a colleague to stay away before realising there were no explosives in the device, which was later found to be a green circuit board with an infrared receiver, wires and a battery pack.

Security staff later pinpointed Owen on CCTV footage sticking his right hand into the corner of the sofa, and staff recognised him when he returned.

Usha Shergill, prosecuting, said footage showed him “going back to the same sofa where he placed the device”, adding: “He’s looking at that area, talking to some females, pointing and gesticulating.”

Owen admitted to police the device was his but said he had made it to charge his phone and it “must have fallen” from his pocket when he last visited.

But Ms Shergill said an expert examined the device and concluded it was “not possible to charge a mobile phone” with it.

Owen denies intending to induce others to believe in the presence of a bomb or explosive. The trial continues.

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 06:45
 Jasmine Djiabouras abseiled for Action for Kids

A Haringey woman has abseiled off the UK’s tallest sculpture in aid of children and young people with disabilities.

Mon, 07:00
Sarah Cope with children Clementine and Walter, bottom left, and Patrick and Harry Mildren, centre, protest against the estate being earmarked for redevelopment. Picture: Nigel Sutton

Young families and elderly residents who have lived in a housing estate for generations fear their homes could be demolished within a decade under draft redevelopment plans by the council.

Mon, 06:40
Prince William, Duke of Cambridge hands the trophy to Mikel Arteta of Arsenal (Photo by Paul Gilham/Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger claims midfielder Mikel Arteta will play a big part in the squad next season at the Emirates.

Mon, 06:10
David Ospina of Arsenal (Photo by David Price/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger admits he is in no rush to sign a goalkeeper this summer as he has ‘the best in the league’ in David Ospina.

Most read news

Competitions

Time to expand with the LeefiBRIDGE.

More iOS memory in a flash: Introducing Leef iBRIDGE.

Read more
The sell out 2014 event 32 Londoners, returns to the Coca-Cola London Eye!

The Coca-Cola London Eye is proud to announce that 32 Londoners will be returning this June, following last year’s sell out event. The event will feature 32 talks, in each of the London Eye’s 32 capsules on 32 extraordinary Londoners.

Read more

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Broadway Ham&High e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder