May 22 2013 Latest news:
Else Kvist, Reporter
Tuesday, July 10, 2012
Campaigners against missiles being stationed at a residential building in Bow are disappointed after a legal challenge by fellow campaigners against similar plans fails.
Residents at the Fred Wigg Tower in Leytonstone lost their High Court battle this afternoon to prevent surface-to-air missiles being put on the roof of their tower block during the Olympics.
They applied to the London High Court for permission to seek a judicial review on the grounds their human rights have been breached and that they were not consulted fairly and properly over the proposals.
The Ministry of Defence announced plans earlier this year to place missiles at six London sites, including Bow Quarter in Fairfield Road and the Fred Wigg Tower, to protect the Olympic Park in Stratford against a September 11 style terrorist.
Chris Nineham, of the Stop the Olympic Missiles campaign, who lives in Bow, said, of the court ruling: “We are very disappointed. It’s a very bad decision. It shows across the board the mood of the MoD and Olympic Committee of getting their own way in defiance of residents in East London.
“But the legal action was taken by the residents’ association, representing the residents in Leytonstone, and it proved the MoD were wrong when they said it was only a minority of residents who were against the plans.”
He said the Stop the Olympic Missiles campaign, which includes residents in Bow, are not planning to mount a similar legal challenge after the residents’ in Leytonstone lost their High Court battle.